@Carranza317 on Twitter
Week five saw plenty of worthy candidates, but a game changing performance won out in a tough decision with so many great week five performances across the city.
Eastwood’s Nathan Carranza had a huge day in Eastwood’s 36-31 win over Montwood. Carranza took an interception 45-yards back for a touchdown for the Trooper’s first score of the game. Carranza also rushed for 23-yards on a mishandled punt which gave Eastwood a big first down, then he blocked a would-be go-ahead field goal late in the game to carry his team to a huge win.
He was also a key member in the Eastwood secondary which limited Montwood to just 117 yards passing. Here’s a link to his highlights.
Here are the other stars who came to close to player of the week honors
- Deion Hankins, RB, Parkland, 300 rushing yards, 2 rushing TD’s, receiving TD
- Raymond Montez, QB, Del Valle, 216 passing yards, 106 rushing yards, 5 total TD’s
- Mario Chavez, RB, El Paso, 254 rushing yards, 4 TD’s
- Carter McFaddin, LB, Coronado, 7 tackles, 1.0 sacks, defensive TD
- Zed Estrada, DB, Parkland, 13 tackles, 2.0 TFL’s
- Cedric Allen, LB, Andress, 13 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 3.0 TFL’s
- Aaron Dumas, RB, Americas, 285 rushing yards
Previous players of the week
- Week 1: Caleb Gerber, RB, Pebble Hills
- Week 2: Gabe Herrera, QB, Parkland
- Week 3: Aaron Dumas, RB, Americas, Gabe Stonewall, WR, Franklin
- Week 4: Joziah Salazar, QB, Ysleta
- Week 5: Nathan Carranza, DB, Eastwood